“In the soul of the adolescent, great values are hidden, and in the minds of these boys and girls there lies all our hope of future progress.”
Dr. Maria Montessori
The Mercy Montessori adolescent program was started in 1992. We are proud to be the first such program in Cincinnati. We founded our adolescent program upon the philosophy of Maria Montessori, the charism of the Sisters of Mercy, and best practices of adolescent education.
We believe the work of early adolescence is finding their place in their community. Activities are designed to help adolescents answer the question, "How do I fit in?" Overnight adventures, student planned trips, group initiatives, and exposure to the local community through service projects are integral activities to lead students to develop their place.
The work of the adolescent is an academic pursuit as well. Our program is organized to foster the development of new abstract thinking skills that emerge in this stage of development. Academic structures include interdisciplinary instruction, heterogenous learning groups, flexible schedules, and a developmentally challenging set of knowledge and skill objectives.
Mercy Montessori Junior High Materials and Information
- Thematic Planning
- Boat Building at Mercy Montessori
- Digital Citizenship / Technology Curriculum
- Outdoor Learning at Mercy Montessori
- Ecolab, Erdkinder, and Microeconomy Work
- Farmessori Page
- Health and Wellness Classes
Educational Resources for Junior High Students
- Seven Gateways to the Soul of Education, © The Soul of Education: Helping Students Find Connection, Compassion, and Character at School (ASCD 2000) Rachael Kessler
- Key Experiences for the Adolescent, NAMTA Journal, Toward Key Experiences, John Long, 2001.
- A Comparison of Montessori and Traditional Middle Schools, by Deborah Gilbert, PhD
- Liberty and Hope for the Adolescent: Valorization of the Personality, by Marta Donahoe
- Glimpses of the True Adolescent, by David Kahn
- The Third Plane of Development (12-18 year olds), by David Kahn
Health & Wellness Partners
Thank you to these health and wellness partners who teach our students how to grow strong minds and bodies. Click on the logos to learn more about each organization.